Adding a new member into the family is always exciting. You may be going through the same excitement if you have recently added a doggie or a kitty in your family. However it also brings equal responsibility and not only fun. If you are new with the whole pet parenting thing then there are a few things that you must have a hold on for your pet’s better and healthy living. Shall we go through the main points?
Bucket List- Most important Do’s and Don’ts for new pet parents
- Training: Have you given a thought on training your pup or kitty? If not then it may be time to give some! There is no need of professional inclusion; you may start by being reasonably strict while dealing with your new companion. Remember, this the time to inculcate habits which you want or don’t want your pet to have.
- First Vet Visit: Overall check-up of you pup or kitty is extremely important. Your pet may have dangerous infections such as heartworms, intestinal worms and other external parasitic infestations which are needed to be looked after right away. Ask your vet what so ever crosses your mind.
- Vaccinations: Your vet may give the first necessary shots on your pet’s first visit. But what you may have to keep in mind are the next dates for shots and the complete detailed records or vaccination certificates on hand- all the time.
- Healthy diet: Keep a balanced diet that does not include extra carbs and make sure you choose the best of foods for your pawed friends after consulting your vet.
- Microchipping: This should be your first in the to-do list. It may really help you in identification of your pet if lost which ultimately may give you peace of mind.
- Grooming and exercise: Do not over groom your furry pals. Cats are extremely clean and may not need a bath for a long time except for their messy, muddy incidences. Dogs may need one bath session in a month or two. Make sure you don’t overdo it as it may affect their coats and make it dry. Exercise is important for dogs and you need to give them at least 20-30 minutes of walk twice, daily.
- Nail clipping: Make your pet comfortable with your touch right from the start by touching his paws, head, mouth, etc. Now if you think that their nails may wear off with their activities, then it is a misconception. You need to clip them carefully.
- Oral health: Now this is something that experienced pet parents too lack! You may do it in a better way as it is just a start for you. As mentioned in the above point, make your pet comfortable with your touch. Use rinsing solutions while they are young and you may move to toothbrush later. Neglecting this may result in gum and oral diseases.
- Flea and worm treatments: Flea and tick may become your pet’s regular companions if you do not take preventive measures. Choose dependable flea and tick treatments to keep the skin issues at bay. The same goes with wormers. Consult your vet for suggesting a suitable dewormer for your fur baby.
So, this was the detailed and explained bucket list for your pet’s healthy being if you are new to pet parenting. Let’s hope you make the right decisions and be a successful companion of your furry pal. All the best!